Your personal home care plays an important role in achieving a beautiful healthy smile that lasts a life time. Your personal home care starts by eating balanced meals, reducing the number of snacks and sugar based food items and correctly using the various dental aids that help control the plaque and bacteria that cause dental disease.
Tooth brushing: Brush your teeth at least twice a day, especially before going to bed at night. Below, you will find a review of tooth brushing method at home.
- Place the brush at a 45-degree angle to the gums and gently brush using a small, circular motion, ensuring that you always feel the bristles on the gums.
- Brush the outer, inner, and biting surfaces of each tooth.
- Use the tip of the brush to clean the inside of the front teeth.
- Brush your tongue to remove bacteria and freshen your breath.
Electric toothbrushes are highly recommended and an efficient way to maintain oral health. Simply place the bristles of the electric brush on your gums and teeth and allow the brush to do its job, several teeth at a time.
Flossing: Daily flossing is the best way to clean between the teeth and under the gumline. Flossing not only helps clean these spaces, it disrupts plaque colonies from building up, preventing damage to the gums, teeth, and bone.
- Take 12-16 inches of dental floss and wrap it around your middle fingers, leaving about 2 inches of floss between the hands.
- Using your thumbs and forefingers to guide the floss, gently insert the floss between teeth using a sawing motion.
- Curve the floss into a “C” shape around each tooth and under the gumline. Gently move the floss up and down, cleaning the side of each tooth.
Floss holders and inter-dental tooth brushes can also be valuable adjuncts to a home care regimen.